2016 NHL Entry Draft: Rangers Select Goaltender Tyler Wall 174th Overall

Another goaltender is added to the prospect pool.

The New York Rangers have selected goaltender Tyler Wall with the 174th pick of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.

My knowledge of Wall is virtually non-existent, but a couple of people I've talked to who do have insight see his upside as very high. Greg Balloch notes that Wall dominated the Ontario Junior Hockey league, and the numbers appear to back it up. He is a big goaltender who plays deep in his net, which is the style that Rangers' goaltending coach helped bring to the forefront. He'll know exactly what to do with him.

Wall is committed to Umass-Amherst of Hockey East, and the Rangers will be content letting him marinate there for four years. This is the fourth-straight year the Rangers have drafted a goaltender in round four or later, which is fine with me. It's a position that is best addressed through quantity, as opposed to drafting a few of them with high picks.