Source: Nils Lundkvist Injury Deemed Not Serious

The MRI was negative for NYR’s top draft pick.

Though Rangers’ 2018 first-round pick Nils Lundkvist suffered an injury at the World Junior Summer Showcase, the damage is not believed to be serious, Lulea HF tells Blueshirt Banter.

“(We) had received news that the MRI showed no serious injury,” Lulea PR went on to say. “(We) do not expect him on the ice next week, but the week after that.”

Lundkvist, 19, has been deemed unavailable for the remainder of the World Junior Summer Showcase following an apparent ankle injury last Sunday.

Lulea plays its first preseason game on August 15th, with formal play beginning at the end of the month. Lundkvist is in a battle for playing time, and so missing any meaningful time would have been a major setback. He, Lulea, and the Rangers should feel fortunate that he managed to avoid a serious injury despite how bad it appeared at first glance.