Nick Ebert signs in SHL with Örebro

The UFA is returning to Sweden

Today, Örebro HK announced that unrestricted free agent defenseman Nick Ebert has signed a two-year contract with the team. Ebert played with Örebro in 2018-19 before returning to North America as a member of the Ottawa Senators organization.

On Oct. 7, 2019, the Rangers dealt Vladislav Namestnikov to the Senators for Ebert and a fourth round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft. The Rangers also retained $750,000 of the Russian forward’s contract. The Senators later dealt Namestnikov on Feb. 24, 2020 to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for their fourth round pick of the 2021 NHL Draft.

Official: New York Rangers Trade Vladislav Namestnikov to Ottawa Senators

“For me it was an easy decision to come back to Örebro,” Ebert said in the team’s release. “It’s my second home and I really love the fans, the club and the city. My goal is to win SM gold with Örebro. The club has something good going on and I want to be part of helping us win.”

Ebert, 26, scored five goals and tallied 11 assists in 46 games as a member of the Hartford Wolf Pack. According to ahltracker.com, his most frequent defensive partners at even strength — measured by being on the ice simultaneously for goal events — were Yegor Rykov and Mason Geertsen. He finished the season second in primary points per-game (0.24) among Wolf Pack defenders behind only Joey Keane (0.45) and led all Hartford blueliners in shots per-game (1.72).