Rangers fined $250k for statement

“It is terribly unfair to question George Parros’ professionalism and dedication to his role...”

The National Hockey League has fined the New York Rangers $250,000 for comments made by the team on Tuesday, May 4. For those who may have missed it, the Rangers called out George Parros, the head of the NHL’s Department of Player Safety: “We view this as a dereliction of duty by NHL head of Player Safety, George Parros, and believe he is unfit to continue in his current role.”

Rangers Release Statement Regarding NHL Department of Player Safety’s Decision to Not Suspend Tom Wilson

Clearly, the NHL did not like this.

From the league’s release:

“Public comments of the nature issued by the Rangers that were personal in nature and demeaning of a League executive will not be tolerated,” said NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. “While we don’t expect our Clubs to agree with every decision rendered by the Department of Player Safety, the extent to which the Rangers expressed their disagreement was unacceptable. It is terribly unfair to question George Parros’ professionalism and dedication to his role and the Department of Player Safety.”

As many have and will continue to point out, this fine is 50 times as much as the one paid by Tom Wilson of the Washington Capitals, which was the maximum fine allowed for a player under the CBA. Just to put that $250,000 into perspective — Dolan is a billionaire. While this is hardly an insignificant sum, it is something he was prepared to part with to make his statement.

Sources have said that former president John Davidson and former general manager Jeff Gorton wanted nothing to do with the statement that has incurred this fine from the league.

Oh, by the way, there are still two games left in the season.

The Rangers play the Boston Bruins tonight at 7 p.m. ET and on Saturday at 3 p.m.