Bantering Points: Coaching Options Coming Into Focus Edition
Some Saturday morning Bantering Points for all of you.
- By now you've all seen the story about the New York Rangers' timeline when it comes to a new coach. Larry Brooks seems to believe next week the Rangers will be focusing on coaching options (although he doesn't know if formal interviews will take place).
- Remember, the Rangers are being very patient right now because Glen Sather wants to see what's going to happen with Dave Tippett. Tippett, if you don't know, is set to have his contract with the Phoenix Coyotes expire this summer. The Coyotes are interested in bringing him back (and Tippett seems willing to return) but they have to wait until the ownership issue is resolved. If Tippett becomes a "free agent" I would assume the Rangers would be very interested in him.
- And yet, I still think Alain Vigneault is the hands-down favorite right now. I think his coaching style and the success he has had in Vancouver makes him a perfect fit for this team.
- I'm not shocked the Rangers are interested in interviewing Lindy Ruff, but I doubt Sather goes in that direction. You just fired John Tortorella, why would you hire John Tortorella lite?
- I still think Dallas Eakins should be very high on the Rangers list. I've seen a ton of good things about him. It appears, however, the Vancouver Canucks are very interested in his services. Reports have surfaced that Eakins has already had his second interview with Vancouver.
- Took a quick look at the list of UFAs on the board this summer. I'll be going more in depth sometime this week, but the end result is there aren't many options on the board. And the guys that might be worth looking into are going to be too expensive.
- The RFA market, on the other hand, is full of true talent. Those are obviously harder waters to navigate, though.