In Memory Of 9/11

On today’s 15th anniversary of 9/11, Blueshirt Banter and its staff would once again like to thank all the first and emergency responders — not just those that answered the call on that day but all of the people who put their lives before everyone else every single day.

We’d like to thank the police and fire fighters in this great city and across the country.

We’d like to take a moment and remember those we lost, and the families impacted by those tragic events.

I’ve said this before but I’ve always felt like New York — and the New York Rangers as well -- have a special relationship with first reponders. When the local police and fire fighters are the honor guard for the national anthem they get the loudest of the cheers. Steven McDonald is a local hero, and an award is given out in his name every year to players who go above and beyond the call of duty. They’re woven into the fabric of this hockey team and this city for a reason.

Hockey is often a salve to put over a wound, but there’s a reason why you move forward but never forget. Not just because you can’t, but because you shouldn’t forget those who gave their lives.

Hug your husband or wife today. Hug your kids. Hug your friends.

Don’t forget.