Rangers Recap: Flyers Dump Rangers 4-2, Gaborik Has Concussion

After bouncing back from a miserable six game losing streak with two straight wins, the Rangers are sliding again, losing their second in a row today 4-2 to the Philadelphia Flyers at Madison Square Garden, and it looks like they may have to find a way out of this slump without their star sniper.

As was their custom for most of the long losing streak, the Rangers played well in this game only in spurts. After Wojtek Wolski put the Rangers ahead 1-0 in the first, the Flyers had built a 3-1 lead going into the third on goals by Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux, and Daniel Carcillo.

Marian Gaborik left the game after the first period with a concussion. After the game, Coach John Tortorella told the media that it probably didn’t happen in today’s game.

Flyers goaltender Brian Boucher was shaken up in the third period, but stayed in the game. Derek Stepan capitalized immediately with his 16th of the season, but the Rangers were unable to get the tying goal. New Flyer Kris Versteeg added an empty netter to put the Rangers away.

Final Thoughts:

  • Henrik Lundqvist was not at his best today. I know the Rangers didn’t help him much, but he’s got to play better than he did today.
  • Flyers had zero penalties in this game, only the third time in their history that’s happened.
  • Those of us who didn’t get the game on NBC were afforded the chance to watch it live online for free on nbcsports.com. The people at the Peacock network need to work on their streaming capabilities before they try this again. The game cut out at least a dozen times, sometimes for as long as 15 seconds. I can honestly say that never happens when I have to watch the game on NHL Game Center.
  • If Gaborik didn’t suffer the concussion today, when did he? And why was he on the ice today?

Talking Points