Rangers Recap: Rangers 3 Canadiens 1

“God don’t want me yet man, I got more feet to taste”

If you’re a Howard Stern fan, you’ll get the reference. If not, it basically means: We’re not done yet.

The Rangers came out flat in this game, and played a pretty sloppy first period. I think the early penalty took a little wind out of their sails, and just couldn’t seem to get it together in the first period.  Drury got a goal in the first, then Dandenault tied it late in the period.

When the Rangers came out for the 2nd period, they were a different team. They immediately went on the attack, and by the midway point of the 2nd period, it looked to me like the Habs were out of gas. The Rangers were relentless, cycling, shooting from all angles, and really got their legs under them. Antropov got a goal early in the 2nd, and the Rangers never looked back. Chris Drury picked up his 2nd goal of the game 7 minutes later to give the Rangers a 3-1 lead.  The Rangers outshot the Habs 15-4 in that 2nd period.

The Rangers didn’t back off in the 3rd, they kept their foot on the gas the entire period, which I was really impressed with. The Rangers smelled blood on the Canadiens, and didn’t let them off the hook. Overall the Rangers outshot Montreal  44-25.

So by virtue of the Flyers big win over Florida, the Rangers can now clinch a playoff spot Thursday night at home against those same Flyers.

Game Thoughts:

  • I have to give credit where it’s due. Chris Drury played an amazing game last night. 2 goals, he was shooting from everywhere, and flying all over the ice. In other words, he was a “presence” on the ice. Great game by Drury, and a well deserved 1st star.
  • Ryan Callahan started his night by accepting the Steven J McDonald “Extra Effort” award, and then went out and showed why he won it. 2 assists, 4 hits, played with great energy all night long.
  • A solid night from Henrik Lundqvist. He made 24 saves, including a few big ones during rare Habs flurries.
  • Great job staying out of the penalty box, only 3 penalty kills. Of course the downside is that means only 5 minutes of ice time for Blair Betts.
  • The Ranger defense held Alexei Kovalev to one shot on goal. Yeah, you read that right, one shot on goal.
  • Speaking of Kovalev, at one point in the 3rd period, he was being checked by Nik Zherdev, and I swear it was like watching old Biff Tannen talk to young Biff Tannen in “Back to the Future II”.
  • The Canadiens were just pummeling Sean Avery all night long, and there wasn’t one penalty called from it. Not that it should shock us, but I thought I would mention it./

All in all a fantastic effort by the Rangers, and they are going to need another one on Thursday.

Talking Points