clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Antti Raanta has another new mask, this time paying tribute to Rangers history

New, comment

This one isn’t super fancy, and that’s what makes it awesome.

If there’s one thing Antti Raanta has a flair for, it’s masks.

He’s got tons, some of his latest being dual tributes to the NYPD and FDNY. And in fact, he’s paid tribute to Rangers history earlier this season, too.

But this one is a bit different and, dare I say, it’s a lot cooler. Working with his usual artist Dave Gunnarsson, it’s much less flashy, simply paying tribute to some Rangers greats in a way we don’t often see on modern day goalie masks.

Gunnarsson goes in depth explaining his artistic process, and I love it. Everything seems airbrushed nowadays, so to have this just as a strict painting is so different, and it really stands out because of it.

Plus it’s just so Rangers. Adam Graves, Brian Leetch, Mark Messier, even Raanta’s countryman Esa Tikkanen, and of course, Sam Rosen - all painted in red and blue and nothing more.

Simplicity is often lost in modern day goalie masks. It’s so cool to see Raanta and Gunnarsson bring it back in tribute to some Rangers greats.