clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

2019 NHL Draft: Day 1 Open Thread

New, comments
Canada v Finland: Final - 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Slovakia Photo by Martin Rose/Getty Images

The long awaited day has finally arrived.

After months of debating whether it’ll be Kaapo Kakko or Jack Hughes suiting up on Broadway for the foreseeable future, we’ll finally have our answer within the hour. The New York Rangers were originally scheduled to select twice during the first round tonight, but a blockbuster trade on Monday sent Neal Pionk and their 20th overall selection back to the Winnipeg Jets for the rights to Jacob Trouba.

There’s definitely a chance the Rangers make additional moves to snag another first round pick, but as of right now, they will have a single selection on night one. That lone selection will be a pretty big one too, with the Rangers selecting a prominent player to lead them into the next phase of the rebuild. Here’s where you can tune into to watch the Rangers make their franchise altering pick.

When: Friday, June 21, 8:00 p.m. EDT
Where: Rogers Area, Vancouver, BC
Television: NBCSN, Sportsnet, TVA Sports

If you are interested in some pre-draft reading material, take a look at Adam’s final draft rankings where he previewed the top-14 prospects. In the event that the Rangers make a move back into the first round, some of these players could be of interest and are worth reading up on.