Hockey Fights Cancer 2018 Pledge Drive

I will once again be raising money during Hockey Fights Cancer month, and I am asking for your support.

Cancer is something that impacts practically everyone. If it doesn’t touch you directly, there’s a good chance you know someone who has been impacted.

Last year I decided to raise money during Hockey Fights Cancer month, and it was a great success. Cancer has impacted a number of members of my family including my maternal grandparents, my paternal grandmother, and many others. While those situations have played a role in me participating in Relays for Life and other fundraisers in the past, I decided to raise money because Lisa, the aunt of my childhood best friend, was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast and liver cancer in August of 2017. Lisa is like a second mother to me, and I am happy to say as of today she is doing much better now than she was when first diagnosed.

The campaign started out as me creating a pledge bracket in which I would donate money based on a number of categories. When my tweet got picked up by the NHL I was really taken aback.

What happened next was a number of individuals making their own pledge or deciding to match my offering, and ultimately the dollars started piling up.

This year I once again have a pledge bracket, and I decided to get a little more aggressive because of the way the Rangers have played to date. I want to make the most of each category, and am hopeful that the team can have a great month.

In addition to the tracker, I have a number of Ranger memorabilia items that I would like to raffle off.

The items include

  • (1) Mark Messier autographed hockey puck with ‘94 Champ inscription
  • (1) Brian Leetch autographed 1994 Stanley Cup Final hockey puck
  • (1) Adam Graves autographed hockey puck
  • (1) Martin St. Louis autographed hockey puck
  • (1) Mats Zuccarello autographed hockey puck
  • (1) Brady Skjei autographed hockey puck
  • (1) Pavel Buchnevich autographed hockey puck/

If you would like to be entered to win one of the prizes, please donate $15 or more to my PayPal which will then be added to my final pledge and distributed to a number of charities.

One $15 donation will earn you one entry, but if you were to donate $45 dollars you would receive three entries and so on and so forth.

Additionally, if you make a donation of $15 or more to a charity of your choosing, you can email me a screenshot of your donation to Thomas.UrtzJr@gmail.com

I will take donations and screenshots until 11:59 p.m. on December 1, 2018 and will draw results the following day.

Last year funds were donated to

If I am able to raise more funds this year, the goal is to donate to even more groups.

Additionally, I have currently up for sale on TeeSpring a short sleeve t-shirt, a long sleeve t-shirt and a hoodie which features the hashtag I am going to use to track my progess.

Mike was gracious enough to design a hashtag made out of hockey sticks, and 100% of the proceeds from the apparel sales will go to St. Jude’s Research Children’s Hospital.

The shirts come in grey, white and purple and the regular shirt is $20, the long sleeve is $25 and the hoodie is $40.

Here is what the back of the shirt looks like.

Once all funds are collected, I will once again post a screenshot of donations for the sake of transparency.

I would like to thank everyone who supported me in the past, and thank those in advance for their support this year. If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email or reach out to me on Twitter.

This is something that is very personal to me, and  I am hoping to surpass last year’s total.

Thanks,

Tom